Information you might need to consider to start as a Heavy Vehicle Driving Instructor

Government Funding for this Course

Partial Government Funding might be available for you for this course

Training is subsidised by Queensland government and is paid to the RTO providing the training. There is a necessary co-contribution fee from the student for enrolment & training.

The program is open to any Queensland resident aged 15 years or over who is no longer at school (with the exception of VET in Schools students) and is an Australian or New Zealand citizen or Australian permanent resident (including humanitarian entrants), or a temporary resident with the necessary visa and on the pathway to permanent residency. Prospective students must not have or be enrolled in a certificate III level or higher qualification (not including qualifications completed at school and foundation skills training). (Cert III Guarantee)

Please Email John your full name (as it appears on your licence) and date of birth and which ourse you are interested in, so we can check your eligibilty for funding.

The Course

For full details of the Units you need to complete Click Here

The first step is to do you course and gain the qualification, this will take nearly 2 weeks of your time in the face to face componant of the course. You will then have time to help complete any assignments or projects that you did not get completed in the face to face componant of the course, how long this takes is up to you but it is expected that it would take a minimum of being completed in the two weeks and a maximum of six months to complete but being competency based you could take longer if you desired. When you are just doing this qualification you will need to be here for 5 days in the first week. You will then be needed back for a minimum of 4 days in the second week.

The first week is related to the theory related to training and the second week is the practical sections where we will spend most of our time on road. In the First week you will complete the TAE40110 Certificate IV in Training and Assessment Qualification as this is required for Heavy Vehicle Trainers in most States and Territories But it is, in some States and Teritories Dependant on the Class of Vehicle you wish to Train and/or the accreditted system you wish to be involved in. There is an Extra Cost for this Qualification so please contact us to see if you need to complete both Qualifications for your specific needs also please refer to our Price list for full costs.

Your Driving Skills

You will be required to show that your driving is to a standard that will be consistent with passing a driving assessment at licence level (at least to the standard expected of a new driver). Most people can do this if they apply themselves. Almost everyone has some bad habits that they accumulate over time and this will not be an issue with you completing the course on time, but if during the drive a lack of skill or application of the driving legislation is an issue ( or in fact dangerous driving) then consideration will need to be given to possibly undergoing some driving lessons, and this could involve an added (small) cost to the course.

Although this is not common, as most people who come on the course are better than average drivers anyhow simply because they are interested in road safety, it does from time to time occur. Remember this course is not to teach people how to drive but rather how to teach driving.

The business

You also need to consider how to set up your business. This will depend greatly on if you decide to start your own school or work for an established school. Even if you are working for another school in almost every case you still have your own business and work on a sub-contract basis for the school, so you will need an ABN. You can apply for an ABN on line with the tax office, To get an ABN Click Here .Both systems have advantages and disadvantages, we suggest you discuss with your accountant the best way for you to set up your business to get the best advantage for you. We do suggest however that if you have not run a small business before you do consider all the difficulties you may encounter and discuss these with your accountant or someone in the industry, or alternatively consider working for a school even for a short time to become familiar with the industry.

The Licence

You will need to hold the Driving Instructors Licence issued by the Department of Transport and Main Roads. For Information on the Requirements Click Here to go to the TMR website . To get this licence you will need to complete your course then take that application into TMR with a completed application form (Available at our office). After this application is submitted it can take up to 4-6 weeks for the checks to be completed and the licence can be issued (average time appears to be 2 weeks but can not be guaranteed). It is recommended that this application be presented prior to starting the course, but some customer services centres will not accept it without the certificate. The cost for this application is around the $320.00 area and is inclusive of the issue of the licence. The application once approved is valid for 3 months so if you do put in the application prior to enrolment in the course and for some reason have not gone to pick it up within the 3 months you will be required to reapply with another fee due.

Industry Associations

It is not compulsory to njoin an association but we do recommend that you consider it, there is a minimul fee for membership and the benifits far outway the costs associated. For example you will get to hear about new legislation as it occurs and be kept up to date with what is going on in the industry, also the association will represent you the Member in issues and discussions with government, it is also a venue for you to have a say in the future of the industry. The association we recommend is IDIG (Independant Driving Instructors Guild) QLD, details of membership and costs are available at our office or on the IDIG website CCLICK HERE For IDIG

So if you are interested in becoming a Driving Instructor give us a call or email us today.

E-mail:Email Today